30. 9.2012 - 00:00 -
The first floor is occupied by the MAIN FOYER with original light fittings, magnificent figural and ornamental decoration and with its walls covered by artificial marble. The foyer forms an entrance into the central space of the Municipal House which is the SMETANA HALL. The hall occupies the entire central section of the house and is several floors high. The hall, designed as a multipurpose space, has on its front side a stage flanked by two stuccoed sculpture groups by L. Saloun - Vysehrad and Slavonic dances. The ceiling and wall frescos - allegories of Music, Dance, Poetry and Drama were created by K. Spillar. On the balcony and box ledges there are plaques and portraits of the Czech composers Jan of Holesov, Bohuslav of Cechtice, Krystof Harant of Polzice and Bezdruzice, Vaclav Jan Tomasek, Frantisek Skroup, Vilem Blodek, Karel Bendl and Zdenek Fibich by J. Kalvoda.
Under the vault pendentives there are four sculptures by K. Novak, who participated together with L. Kofranek and J. Kalvoda in creating other stucco elements which can be seen in the hall. Woodwork and the woodcarved panelling of the stage was done by J. Navratil. Some of the original furnishings include ceiling glass panes, lattice covering the aircondtioning devices, made by A. Cada and J. Simunek, mirrors, chairs in the boxes and light fittings, which were made by F. Cvrk and the firm Suda Kotesovec. In the gilded lamps, set in long strings on the ceiling, the milkytinted opaque glass was replaced in 1936 with the original cut glass. This arrangement was executed according to a design by P. Janak.
The hall is dominated by the organ, which was made by J. Tucek, around which is a gildedbronze relief of B. Smetana by F. Hergesel. The organ was renovated by the firm Vleugels, which is the successor of the original service subcontractor to J. Tucek of the firm E. F. Wachler. From the National Museum collections the original organ bench was returned to the hall and was recently accompanied by a new electronic one. The original richly ornamented curtain and covers in the honorary boxes have been renovated. The decoration was completed by curtains on the doors and windows of the balcony. The chandeliers above the stage and balcony which were originally equipped with arched lamps made by F. Krizik have been replaced by replicas made according to photographs taken in 1912.